Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Don't Tell the Cows

Perhaps you had a cookout on Memorial Day and grilled hamburgers? If so, you were unwittingly celebrating National Hamburger Month, which makes perfect sense considering that many people fire up their grills for the first time in May.

If you missed out on some burgers over the weekend, don't worry, though, because tomorrow there's another good excuse to celebrate grilled meat on a bun. According to some internet sources May 28th is "officially" National Hambuger Day! (Unlike other, less reliable reports which claim a day in December. Who wants a homemade burger in the middle of winter?)

Of course, if you don't have access to a grill to celebrate or you are a vegetarian or you just had too many burgers over the weekend...you can always make this hamburger cake!

I made this cheeseburger cake for my husband's birthday about 4 years ago, because at the time we were really into Homestarrunner, particularly this toon.

If you would like to know how to make this "Big Mac" cake, you can find the instructions at Woman's Day. This was my first attempt at a frosted cake so please don't judge me too harshly!

I remember that my Homestar Jr. Cake looked much better than it tasted, and that's not saying much. It could've been my cake recipe, though, so feel free to try it out yourself.

Just make sure you have plenty of ice cream handy in case of, um, any culinary disasters. Ice cream covers a multitude of ills and makes even the driest cake or cookies palatable. Trust me.



Happy Hamburger Day, everyone!

No comments: